As the widow or widower of a member of the Armed Forces you are entitled to many of the discount cards available to forces personnel and their families, and some extras. Below are the details of some you may find useful.
Travel Discount Cards
War Widows/Widowers HM Forces Railcard
- War widow(er)s, and dependent children aged 16 and over in receipt of a Forces Family Pension from either the Armed Forces Pension Scheme 1975 or 2005 AND a War Widows, War Widowers or Child’s War Pension.
- War Widow(er)s, recognised partners and dependent children aged 16 and over in receipt of the Guaranteed Payment (GIP) from the Armed Forces Compensation Scheme 2005.
- Children aged 16 and over in full time education receiving the qualifying pensions may have a railcard in their own right. (16 and 17 year olds can only purchase tickets for themselves.)
- A qualifying adult may take up to four children, aged over five years and under 16 years on the date of travel with them at a discounted child rate.
- Those who remarry are no longer eligible once the current railcard has expired.
The price of the railcard is £20 (From 1st September 2015)
To download an application form please use the following link War Widows Association, alternatively call the pensions department of the Royal British Legion on 0203 2072165.
Veterans Concessionary Travel Scheme Oyster photocard
War Widow(er)s, AFCS war widows and recognised partners of any age, who are in receipt of ongoing payments from the War Pension Scheme or Armed Forces Compensation Scheme are eligible to apply for a VCTS Oyster photocard. This entitles you to free travel at any time in London on the buses, tube, Docklands Light Railway, and London Overground Services.
Qualifying parents can also apply on behalf of dependent children.
To apply please telephone 0845 331 9872, Select Option 5 to request an application and information pack.
Defence Discount Services online membership and if you would like a discount card it costs a small fee (£4.99 for 5yrs in Feb 2014), giving you discounts both online and on the high street. Discounts can also be gained on phone contracts, in as restaurants and other venues.