If your late spouse/partner would have been entitled to a Resettlement package (this depends on the terms of employment), you as the widow/widower/partner are entitled to use the Forces’ Resettlement Service.

Widows are now given up to 5 years to take up this entitlement.

You can get a training grant to help you update or gain new skills and knowledge in order to help you find employment. There is a wide range of courses to choose from, including learning to drive, or how to use a computer. If you attend a course which is over 50 miles from your home you can claim “subsistence (help with daily living costs), and in some cases you can get some help with your travel costs.

The Resettlement Service also has talks on housing, financial matters and many other subjects such as writing a CV and interview skills. Your Visiting Officer will be able to give you further information and put you in contact with the Individual Education and Resettlement Officer (IERO) who is based in an Army Education Centre (AEC).